Saturday, October 31, 2009

snickerdoodles : oolala

apparently, we canadians have been somewhat sheltered from this delightful traditional cookie. possibly we have another not-so-creative name for this simple sugar cookie, but as i started to inquire, i was very surprised to find so few who had even heard of it. doubly surprised as usually my french-canadian upbringing is to blame for my education shortcomings with regards to the english traditions.



unspectacularly, i had my very first snickerdoodle just last year as i grabbed a coffee at starbucks in seattle. i really wasn’t looking for a snack, but the name hooked me; and then the cookie followed. it was very yummy! (and no, starbucks does not carry the same food items cross-border)

recently i had a potluck to attend, so i did a search on the internet to find a recipe for it. as it turned out most recipes i found were identical which made it easy to pick one. so i rolled up my sleeves and attempted my first batch of snickerdoodles. unfortunately i was not entirely happy with the result — the cookies tasted very good but were far from being chewy like those of starbucks. however, for all those who had never had a snickerdoodle, they were an absolute hit. everybody loved them and i was left with none to take home!

since i am a bit of a perfectionist (some would say that’s an understatement) i went back to the internet to find another recipe. that was not such an easy task, but i did find one that was different enough. as it turned out it was much better: the cookies were definitely more chewy. there was however something about the taste that was missing from the first recipe. so, in my third attempt, i did a small mix between the two recipes, et voilà! the perfect snickerdoodle!


ingredients
1 cup -butter -softened
2 cups -sugar
2 tsp -vanilla extract
2 -eggs -large
3 cups -flour
1 tsp -cream of tartar
1 tsp -baking soda
1/4 tsp -salt
sugar + cinnamon -for rolling the dough in


preheat oven to 350ºF
cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl.
add the vanilla extract and the eggs, and mix until light and fluffy.
combine the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl.
add half of the dry ingredients to the whipped mixture and blend well.

then add the rest.
cover the bowl and chill for an hour.
meanwhile mix about 4 parts sugar to one part cinnamon together in a small bowl.
line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
note: my experience with using parchment has produced my best baking results.
when the dough is chilled, make some small 1-inch balls and roll them in the cinnamon sugar.
once all placed on the cookie sheet, press them slightly with the back of a fork.
bake for 10 minutes.
note: if you prefer cookies more crunchy, bake them for 12 minutes, or try baking them instead at 375º for 10 minutes. (each oven being different, one needs to do their own testing)

warning: these cookies may cause some serious indulgence.


now i need to highlight something important. sometime in the interim between my first two batches, i discovered something huge: i did not know how to measure flour correctly!

how to measure flour
this was shocking to me, but it explained a lot. when packing your measuring cup, you should not pack it from scooping the flour from the jar with your cup, but you should instead scoop out the flour with a spoon, toss it into your cup, and then level it with a knife. the difference is as follow: a scooped up measuring cup of packed flour weighs about 255g, and a spooned in cup of flour weighs about 225g. that is a 30-gram difference for only one single cup! if your recipe calls for three cups, you’re looking at 90 extra grams of flour. — no wonder the european’s recipe books use weight instead of volume as a measuring standard! please watch the 65-second video.

after learning this, i was able to understand why the same recipe can vary so much from time to time, or from baker to baker. hence the dryness of my first batch of cookies!

please let me know if you enjoy the cookies by leaving me a comment ~ thanks!

5 comments:

Between you, me and the Fencepost said...

In high school home economics classes we always had to sift the flour onto parchment and spoon it into the cup when baking. Now I know why. It always seemed like a laborious extra step but obviously worth it!

I have heard of snickerdoodles but usually in an American context. You're right. Not a canadian cookie. I'm going to copy your recipe and make them. A simple sugar cookie with such a whimsical name. I love it.

Between you, me and the Fencepost said...

I made the cookies and they turned out perfectly. I used the technique to measure the flour too. They were a hit with all the kids in the house. I couldn't stay away either . . . I'm making them again for a luncheon I'm having for a group of ladies on Sunday. Snicker doodles and fruit for dessert. I'm addicted.

Caroline said...

These are seriously yummy. I was one of the lucky ones that Guylaine made them for... mmmmmmmm. simply mmmmmm.

Cheryl said...

I fortunately have been one of the lucky few to try them already made by Guylaine.... they were fantastic !!! Holidays are coming and these will definitely be added to my baking list....
Thanks Guylaine !!!

Trista said...

I had fresh baked snickerdoodles and I really liked them! I had never had them before and shared them at work as well. Thank-you for sharing them with me Guylaine :)